Monday, October 08, 2007

McDonald's Coffee?

I'm not a coffee snob. The Folger's Classic Roast Half Caf that I brew in my home pot each morning serves the majority of my coffee needs. But, when I occassionally do want to spring for a storebought cup of coffee, I still can't bring myself to place the order at McDonald's.

I was excited a year ago when McDonald's announced it was entering the premium coffee market. I thought it might be a great alternative to Starbucks. Then I went to try McDonald's coffee when they were offering it for free.

I was shocked when I walked in and saw that they were brewing the coffee in the same exact pots that my company uses in our breakrooms. I just didn't associate that with premium coffee.

Again, I'm not a coffee snob. For taste, coffee is coffee. I have a tough time distinguishing the taste of a Starbucks latte and Folgers with milk. But it dawned on my how important the other aspects of the experience were to me when I struggled to figure out why I was so adverse to paying $1.09 for McDonald's coffee, but didn't have much problem paying $1.45 for Starbucks brewed coffee, occasionally.

So, McDonald's, do you want my occasional coffee business? What did it come down to? Replace the breakroom coffee pots with coffee urns. To me, the coffee urns look much more professional and more suited to hold "premium" coffee.

That's it.

No comments: